Calling artists throughout Ireland passionate about creating work for children with additional needs.
Baboró, together with Rosán Sensory Adventures, invite you to apply for a new artist development opportunity specifically designed to support makers passionate about creating performances for children with additional needs. Through the programme, you will receive:
- A bursary of €4,000 to be used towards artistic development of your practice locally or abroad;
- A Delegate Pass for Baboró Festivals in October 2023 and 2024 in Galway, including reimbursement of travel costs to and from the festival, if applicable;
- A community of artists and industry professionals to support you in the development of your practice and/or project concept.
You will be given an additional opportunity to participate in Baboró Festival 2024 which will have a focus on work for children with additional needs.
This bursary can be used between August 2023 and December 2024.
There will be periodical check-ins with team members from Baboró and Rosán Sensory Adventures to offer support and maintain community throughout the 17 months. These can be on Zoom or in person and will be arranged with each individual to best accommodate their needs and overall plan for the bursary.
Is this opportunity for you?
Baboró strives to make sure that all children in Ireland see themselves and their stories reflected in the arts. We endeavour to deliver projects and present performances which reflect the diversity of the Ireland we live in today. We strongly encourage artists from currently underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
For this opportunity, we welcome applications from individuals who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Have a minimum of three years experience as a professional performing artist in any artform(s), cross-disciplinary or interdisciplinary;
- Demonstrate passion for creating work for children and young people with additional needs;
- You do not have to have created work in this area, but you must show clear commitment to this audience
- Be based on the island of Ireland;
- Be over 18 years of age and not a full-time student;
- Be available to participate in the 2024 Baboró Festival mid-October, dates to be confirmed.
Desirable (but optional) criteria:
- Have experience working with children or adults with additional needs in some capacity;
- Be available to attend at least one day of the 2023 Baboró Festival in Galway, between 14 - 22 October.
A total of four applicants will be selected for this opportunity.
We want to minimise barriers you may face in applying for or participating in this opportunity. We offer some access supports, pending limited resources, and want to work with you to ensure this opportunity is attainable. Access supports can include, but are not limited to, additional funds for child care or a companion or accessibility costs such as taxis. We are happy to chat about any additional support you may require and will try our best to accommodate these needs.
Please contact Rachel at email@example.com or call our office at 091 562 667 should you have a particular query.
How to apply?
We’d love to hear from you—to apply please submit:
- A brief CV (max 3 pages);
- A portfolio of artistic work (3 examples) Note: please keep video clips to 5 minutes or less;
- A response to the following prompts in either written (3 pages maximum), audio or video recording (3-5 minutes maximum) format:
a. Describe your artistic practice - what excites you? What inspired you to begin artistic work? What is something about which you are currently passionate?
b. Why are you drawn to work for children with additional needs?
c. What questions do you have about this work that you hope to explore?
d. How would you like to use this bursary? You will not be held to this plan, but please use this section to demonstrate forethought and your ability to create a valuable and feasible outline.
Please send your document or recording to firstname.lastname@example.org including ‘Breaking Ground Bursary Application’ in the subject line.
Closing date for applications is Monday 19 June 2023 at midnight.
Should you need any assistance in creating your application or have any question about this opportunity, feel free to contact Rachel at email@example.com
We will respond to all applicants by 17 July, end of day.
If, at any point before the deadline, you would like to withdraw your application, simply send us an email.
Statement of Care
We recognise that life comes with challenges and needs are different for everyone. We can offer additional support for submitting your application and are happy to discuss any additional supports you might require. Please contact Rachel at firstname.lastname@example.org for more support.
If you would like to know more about this opportunity or the application process, please join us at our online info session on 23 May at 1pm.
The Information Session is now over. Please find a recording of the session below.
Applications Open - May 8
Information Session - May 23, 1pm
Applications Close - June 19, midnight
All participants will be notified by 17 July, end of day
Baboró is committed to making sure that all children in Ireland will be able to see themselves reflected in the arts. We want to support you to help build this community.