We invite creatives based in Ireland to apply for our Festival Mentoring programme. This initiative aims to encourage both emerging and established artists who are interested in making work for children to experience Baboró International Arts Festival for Children in an immersive and rewarding way. The small group of successful applicants will be led through a curated programme of festival shows and industry events including discussions, workshops and networking lunches in Galway in October. The group will navigate the programme with seasoned mentors Phil Kingston (Community and Education Manager, Abbey Theatre) and Maria Fleming (CEO, First Fortnight). Both Phil and Maria are TYAI Committee Members and have a wealth of experience in the theatre for young audiences sector.
The objective is that artists and creatives will be inspired to make work for babies, children and young people in Ireland, having been exposed to world-class Irish and international work. This vibrant sector is multi-disciplinary and collaborative by nature and we encourage participants to connect with visiting artists and programmers, develop their Irish and worldwide relationships, with a view to possible future collaborations. You never can tell what might come from a brief chat!
Is this opportunity for you?
Baboró is committed to making sure that all children in Ireland will be able to see themselves reflected in the arts. We want to support you to help build this community.
We welcome applications from individuals who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Are artists or creatives with at least one year’s professional experience, not necessarily in making work for young audiences. This includes, but is not limited to, writers, actors, dancers, directors, producers, choreographers, and designers.
- Demonstrate passion and/or strong curiosity for creating work for children and young people.
- Are based on the island of Ireland.
- Can commit to attending the full programme each day from the 20th to 22nd October in person in Galway.
- Are over 18 years.
A total of four applicants will be selected for this opportunity.
The programme takes place on 20th, 21st and 22nd October 2022.
What do you get?
- A bespoke schedule of festival events including free tickets to performances.
- €650 per person towards costs associated with attending Baboró Festival including travel and accommodation.
- Access supports to attend the festival, if required.
- Festival Mentor Meetings: One-to-one and group discussions about the work seen, the participants’ practice, ambitions, etc.
- Attendance at industry discussions and workshops.
- Networking opportunities with Irish and international artists and programmers.
How to apply?
We’d love to hear from you—to apply please submit a brief CV and completed application form. Should you prefer, you may also submit your application form as an audio recording or short film (3-5 min). If submitting in this way, please make sure you respond to all questions in the application form.
Please send your document or recording to firstname.lastname@example.org including ‘Baboró Festival Mentoring 2022 Application’ in the subject line.
Closing date for applications is Wednesday, 27 July at midnight.
Should you need any assistance in creating your application, feel free to contact Rachel at email@example.com.
We will respond to all applicants by Wednesday, 17 August, end of day.
Statement of Care
We recognise that life comes with challenges and needs are different for everyone. We can offer additional support for access and are happy to discuss any additional access supports you might require. For more information you can contact Rachel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our information session was held on Zoom on 19 July at 4pm. You can watch the recording below to hear a bit about the programme from Baboró producer Jennifer Ahern, mentor Maria Fleming, and alumna Monica Muñoz.
Dates to Remember
Applications Open – 30 June 2022
Information Session – 19 July 2022, 4pm
Applications Close – 27 July 2022 at midnight
All participants will be notified of our decision by 17 August 2022
Festival Mentorship Programme – 20-22 October 2022