Baboró Production Assistant
Duration of Placement: The contract is from the period of August 21st 2017 to February 16th 2018.
Hours: Contract for services based on 39 hours per week. Some flexibility will be required.
Location: Baboró Office, Galway City Centre
Company Overview: Baboró International Arts Festival for Children is Ireland’s flagship international arts festival devoted exclusively to children and families. In 2017, we celebrate 21 years of presenting a multidisciplinary arts festival to thousands of children in Ireland from our base in Galway. Baboró was originally conceived and nurtured under the auspices of Galway Arts Festival and first presented a Baboró programme in 1994. By 1997, to address the needs of children who may not usually be included in cultural events, it was decided to create a festival independent of Galway Arts Festival, offering a fully formed multi-arts programme to schools during the month of October in Galway and surrounding areas. Baboró brings the most diverse selection of the finest in performing arts from Ireland and around the world to its annual one-week festival in Galway. The festival programme varies from year to year to bring a wide diversity of exposure to the arts especially created for young audiences, their schools and families.
Baboró will host Wide Eyes, the final event of the Creative Europe Small Size project in February 2018. This is a one-off showcase of 15 new early years productions for school/creche and family audiences, professional development workshops, industry symposia and opportunities for European exchange. Approximately 120 European arts professionals will travel to Galway from Small Size Partner organizations, as well as national and international artists, delegates and audiences who will flock to Galway for the festival. This unique event will last for four days and will include a social schedule showcasing Galway and the West of Ireland.
Position: Baboró wish to employ a Production Assistant to work closely alongside the Producer, and assist in the delivery of the 2017 festival and Wide Eyes Event in 2018. We are seeking a bright, friendly, well organised person, with great communication skills, who enjoys working in a busy environment.
Duties Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Report to Producer and support her in preparation for and smooth running of Baboró Festival 2017 and Wide Eyes 2018 event.
- Support Production Manager on the ground at festival time – assisting companies in the venue, sourcing equipment, supporting speakers technical needs, etc.
- Support creation of Baboró production for Wide Eyes 2018.
- Recruit, roster and manage venue managers, stewards, and volunteers.
- Festival staff and volunteer training.
- Assist with management of smooth relationship between Box Office and Festival Venues.
- Liaise with companies, artists, co-producers, partner venues and other artistic partners.
- Assist with booking and confirming accommodation, freight and travel for artists.
- Support Communication Coordinator by collating information for print programme and website, and liaising with designer and print provider.
- Assist with box office and ticket requests for sponsors, artists and delegates.
- Collate and prepare welcome packs for delegates.
- Co-ordinate, with the Development Executive:
- The Programme Press Launch
- Festival Opening Party
- Artists’ and Delegates’ Evenings
- Sponsors’ Evening
- And other duties that may be required from time to time.
- At least one year’s experience working on similar events
- Administrative, production and/or project management experience
- A passion for the arts
- Excellent computer skills and multitasking abilities
- Strong communication skills, flexibility and calmness in any given situation
- Organised and detail oriented, thorough approach to tasks
- Resourceful and self motivated
- Adaptable and enjoys working in a fast paced, pressurised and fun environment
- Good timekeeper
- Works well in a busy team
- Driving license and own car (preferable)
Application Process: Please send the following to Jennifer Ahern at email@example.com:
- A copy of your recent CV
- A covering letter outlining what qualities and skills you can bring to the role, why you are applying and what past experience you have that is particularly relevant
- The names and contact details of two referees
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 9th August 2017, no later than 5pm. Interviews will be held on Tuesday 15th August 2017.